History of the Building
written by Mary Nell Ferguson, former Principal
In 1992, the students at the Cleveland K-8 school were divided into an elementary (K-5) and a middle (6-8) school to reside on the same campus of the old Cleveland School. There were two principals, Mary Nell Ferguson, for the elementary school and Elias Sanders for the middle school. In 1994, the elementary students moved to their new school while the middle school students remained on the old campus. The new school opened with 777 K-5 students.
During the next two years, the school grew and Wing E was added to the school in 1996. By 1997, the school had grown to almost 1300 students. There were 17 mobile units used for classrooms. In the fall of 1998, students and staff were divided and McGee's Elementary School was started.
In the fall of 2000, Polenta Elementary School was opened. Due to continued growth in this part of Johnston County, the new school received students from our school, West Clayton, and McGee's.
Due to the continued growth in the Western part of the county, West View Elementary was opened and Cleveland Elementary students and staff were once again divided.